God is the same yesterday, today and forever. He is an unchanging God, and His standards do not change. If this is the case, should we observe the Ten Commandments today? Do they still apply? Are they relevant? If God is an unchanging God, then the Ten Commandments are just as applicable today as they were when God took the time to inscribe them in stone for Moses on Mount Sinai. Yet fewer than three out of five Americans can name just five of the Ten Commandments. It’s no wonder that these commandments get broken every day. In case you need to brush up on them, here they are:
- You shall not have other gods before Me.
- You shall not make, worship or serve an idol.
- You shall not use God’s name in vain.
- Remember and keep the Sabbath day holy.
- Honor your father and mother.
- You shall not murder.
- You shall not commit adultery.
- You shall not steal.
- You shall not lie against another.
- You shall not covet that which belongs to another.
Jesus did not come to abolish the law, but to fulfill it. In fact, He says not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the law until all is accomplished. Moreover, He says that whoever keeps and teaches the law shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. In fact, Jesus says that if we so much as break a commandment in our mind, then we have broken the commandment in our heart. It seems like Jesus was clear that we should follow the Ten Commandments. Don’t you agree?